History of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company


History of The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern and its predecessors from the 1913 Annual Report of The New York Central Railroad System.


THE LAKE SHORE AND MICHIGAN SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY

The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company was formed in 1869, under the laws of the States of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois, by the consolidation of The Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad Company with a line from Chicago to Toledo, The Lake Shore Railway Company with a line from Toledo to Erie, and The Buffalo and Erie Railroad Company with a line from Erie to Buffalo. The two first named companies were consolidated on April 6, 1869, under the name of The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, and this company was, on June 22, 1869, consolidated with The Buffalo and Erie Railroad Company, retaining the former name. 1871-2 the following branch mileage was constructed: Sandusky to Oak Harbor, 34.70 miles; Ashtabula to Jamestown, 36.09 miles; and from Sandusky Junction to Old Pier Depot, 3.74 miles.

In 1903, a low grade line was constructed between Plymouth (now Carson), Ohio, and Brookfield, Ohio, 42.59 miles, of which 18.10 miles were built by The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company and 24.49 miles by The Mahoning Coal Railroad Company.

THE MICHIGAN SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN INDIANA RAILROAD COMPANY

Formed by the consolidation of The Michigan Southern Railroad Company and The Northern Indiana Railroad Company April 25, 1855.

The Michigan Southern Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Michigan May 9, 1846. It succeeded to rights of, the Southern Railroad Company, a road commenced by the State of Michigan about 1838. Its line extended from Monroe westerly to the Indiana-Michigan State Line near White Pigeon, Michigan, with a branch line from Lenawee Junction, Alichigan, to Tecumseh, Michigan. This branch was built originally by the Palmyra and Jacksonburgh Railroad Company, which was incorporated March 26, 1836. Same was started by the owners of the old Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad and was opened as far as Tecumseh in August, 1838, Tecumseh remaining its northern terminal for nearly twenty years. The company became involved and the property was sold to the State of Michigan on June 20, 1844, for the amount of the loan which had been made to the company by the State, and interest thereon, amounting to $22,000.00. The State at the same time was the owner of the Southern Railroad, extending or proposed to extend from Monroe westerly to White Pigeon. On May 9, 1846, the State of Michigan sold the Southern Railroad to The Michigan Southern Railroad Company and as a part of the sale the Palmyra and Jacksonburgh Railroad was included as the Tecumseh Branch. It was stipulated in the sale that the branch would be extended to Jackson, Michigan, which was done about ten years later.

The Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Company, Toledo, Ohio, to Adrian, Michigan, 33 miles, was incorporated by the Territorial Legislature of Michigan April 22, 1833, to construct a railroad from Lake Erie (Port Lawrence, now Toledo), to the headwaters of the Kalamazoo River, hence the name "Erie and Kalamazoo." At that time the entire road was supposed to be in Michigan, but on final adjustment of the boundary question after the celebrated "Toledo War," about one-third of the road, eleven miles, was found to be in the State of Ohio. This road was laid with a thin iron ribbon on oak stringers and was opened in 1837. Until August, 1837, the motive power consisted of horses. August 1, 1849, it was leased in perpetuity to The Michigan Southern Railroad Company.

The Northern Indiana Railroad Company was originally incorporated as the Buffalo and Mississippi Railroad Company under act of Legislature of Indiana, February 6, 1835. Name changed to The Northern Indiana Railroad Company February 6, 1837. Board of Directors organized February 21, 1837. This Company did not build any railroad and on September 30, 1848, The Commissioners of the Western Division of the Buffalo and Mississippi Railroad Company met and organized. On November 30, 1850, the Northern Indiana and Chicago Railroad Company, of Illinois, was incorporated. On March 3, 1851, the Northern Indiana Railroad Company, of Ohio, was chartered and on July 8, 1853, the Indiana and Ohio companies were consolidated as the Northern Indiana Railroad Company and on February 7, 1855, The Northern Indiana and Chicago Railroad Company, of Illinois, The Northern Indiana Railroad Company and the Board of Commissioners of the Western Division of The Buffalo and Mississippi Railroad Company were consolidated as The Northern Indiana Railroad Company.

THE LAKE SHORE RAILWAY COMPANY

A consolidation under agreement of February 11, 1869 (certificate filed with Secretary of State of Ohio on April 6, 1869), of The Cleveland and Toledo Railroad Company and The Lake Shore Railway Company. The Cleveland and Toledo Railroad Company came into existence September 1, 1853, by the consolidation of the Toledo, Norwalk and Cleveland Railroad Company and The Junction Railroad Company. The eastern terminus of the Southern or Norwalk Division was changed from Grafton to Elyria in 1866. The Northern Division, from Sandusky to Millbury (near Toledo) was abandoned in 1858 for lack of business and the track taken up. It was rebuilt and opened again for business in 1872.

Toledo, Norwalk and Cleveland Railroad Company was a Norwalk enterprise, chartered March 7, 1850. The Commissioners met at the Court House in Norwalk, September 24, 1850. The road was opened January 24, 1853, forming the last link in the chain of roads from Chicago to New York and Boston.

The Junction Railroad Company, chartered March 2, 1846, constructed a line from Ohio City (now Cleveland, West Side), to Toledo via Elyria and Sandusky and while under construction was consolidated with the Toledo, Norwalk and Cleveland Railroad Company. After consolidation this road was opened from Cleveland to Sandusky October 24, 1853, and to Toledo April 24, 1855.

The Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company was incorporated February 18, 1848; road opened from Cleveland, Ohio, to Erie, Pa., 95 miles, November 20, 1852. The Pennsylvania part of this road-25 miles-was built by The Franklin Canal Company (chartered May 21, 1844), the latter having been organized July 5, 1849, and having sold its road on June 20, 1854, to The Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company, which paid par for the stock and assumed all liabilities of The Franklin Canal Company. Name of The Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company changed to The Lake Shore Railway Company March 31, 1868.

BUFFALO AND ERIE RAILROAD COMPANY

Formed by consolidation, May 15, 1867, of the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company and the Erie and Northeast Railroad Company.

Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company, with 68 miles of line, was incorporated October 13, 1849, and road opened from Dunkirk to State Line on January 1, 1852. February 22, 1852, road opened from Buffalo to State Line.

Act of incorporation of Erie and Northeast Railroad Company, with a line from Erie eastward to State Line, 20 miles, was approved April 12, 1842. Road opened January 19, 1852, connecting with the line of the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company. November 16, 1853, contract was made with the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company to first change the gauge from six feet, to four feet ten inches, then to turn the road over to the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company to operate, the stockholders of both companies to be treated alike. In 1854 the road was closed by track being torn up. The "Erie War" lasted from December 7, 1853, to February 1, 1854, and on the latter date the first train passed from Buffalo to Erie over the uniform gauge. Road operated by Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company until May 15, 1867, under contract of November 16, 1853, when the two companies were consolidated, in accordance with the general act of Pennsylvania of March 24, 1865.

THE DETROIT MONROE AND TOLEDO RAILROAD COMPANY

Incorporated April 26, 1855, with road, Detroit to Ohio-Michigan State Line, 51.43 miles. Leased to The Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad Company on July 1, 1856, for the term of its corporate existence.

THE KALAMAZOO AND WHITE PIGEON RAILROAD COMPANY

Formed on August 14,1869, by consolidation of the Schoolcraft and Three Rivers Railroad Company and the Kalamazoo and Schoolcraft Railroad Company, the former company purchasing the St. Joseph Valley Railroad on the same date. Leased on October 1, 1869, to The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company which lease was superseded by a new lease dated May 1, 1897, for the term of its corporate existence. The Schoolcraft and Three Rivers Railroad Company was incorporated June 6, 1855. The Kalamazoo and Schoolcraft Railroad Company was incorporated June 9, 1866. The Joseph Valley Railroad Company was chartered April 3, 1848.

THE KALAMAZOO ALLEGAN AND GRAND RAPIDS RAILROAD COMPANY

Formed on June 3, 1868, by consolidation of the Kalamazoo and Allegan Railroad Company and the Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids Railroad Company. Leased on September 21, 1869, to The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company for the term of 999 years. The Kalamazoo and Allegan Railroad Company was incorporated June 18, 1867. The Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids Railroad Company was incorporated January 3, 1868.

THE NORTHERN CENTRAL MICHIGAN RAILROAD COMPANY

Road built in 1872-1873 from Jonesville to Lansing, Michigan, 61.34 miles. Leased on May 1,1897, to The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, for the term of its corporate existence.

THE MAHONING COAL RAILROAD COMPANY

Incorporated February 25, 1871. The road of this company was opened for business and leased to The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, in perpetuity, on May 1, I873. The rental is 40 per cent of the gross earnings.

The Mahoning and Shenango Valley Railway Company and The Shenango Valley Railroad Company in 1887, and The Stewart Railroad Company in 1888, constructed branches of the Mahoning Coal Railroad which are now indicated as its Sharon Branch. On October 1, 1889, the roads of those three companies were leased in perpetuity to The Mahoning Coal Railroad Company and on the same date the latter company executed a contract with The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company for operating the same roads in perpetuity.

THE DETROIT HILLSDALE AND SOUTHWESTERN RAILROAD COMPANY

A reorganization, January 30, 1875 of the Detroit, Hillsdale and Indiana Railroad company. The line of this company from Ypsilanti to Bankers, Michigan, 64-74 miles, was leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Souther Railway Company, in perpetuity, July 1, 1881. Lease dated September 5, 1881.

THE FORT WAYNE AND JACKSON RAILROAD COMPANY

Reorganization, January 1, 1880, of the Fort Wayne Jackson and Saginaw Railroad Company, which was formed by the consolidation of the Jackson Fort Wayne and Cincinnati Railroad Company and Fort Wayne Jackson and Saginaw Railroad Company. On August 24, 1882, the line of this company, extending from Jackson, Michigan to Fort Wayne, Indiana, 97.53 miles, was leased in perpetuity to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, lease effective September 1, 1882.

THE DETROIT AND CHICAGO RAILROAD COMPANY

This company was formed by the Chicago and Canada Southern Railroad Company. Its line of road, 67.60 miles, extending from Detroit River Junction to Fayette, was acquired by purchase of stock BB The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company in 1887. In 1893 the track between Grosvenor and Corbus was taken up and abandoned; in 1897 the track between Corbus and Dundee was taken up and abandoned, and the track from Dundee to Chandler was sold to the Detroit and Lima Northern Railroad Company, leaving 25.22 miles, Grosvenor to Fayette, still owned and operated by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company.

THE STURGIS GOSHEN AND ST LOUIS RAILWAY COMPANY

Purchased property of Canada and St Louis Railway Company. Leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, in perpetuity, on February 1, 1890.

THE BATTLE CREEK AND STURGIS RAILWAY COMPANY

Incorporated November 14, 1889. Succeeded the Sturgis and Battle Creek Railway Company. That portion of the line of this company between Sturgis, Michigan and Findley Michigan, 7.19 miles, was leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, in perpetuity, on February 1, 1890, the balance of the line being leased, at the same time, to the Michigan Central Railroad Company.

SILVER CREEK AND DUNKIRK RAILWAY COMPANY

This company was organized in November, 1890, and constructed as a new line- Silver Creek to Dunkirk, 8.71 miles- and leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Souther Railway Company; the later company also owned all of the capital stock of the Silver Creek and Dunkirk Railway Company, and on June 20, 1894, the two companies were merged under the laws of the State of New York, the Silver Creek and Dunkirk Railway Company going out of existence. On December 31, 1892, the old main line between Silver Creek and Dunkirk, 7.84 miles, was leased to The New York Chicago and St Louis Railroad Company, for the term of 99 years from April 1, 1893.

THE ELKHART AND WESTERN RAILROAD COMPANY

In 1898, The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company purchased the capital stock of this company and has since operated the line of this road. Formal perpetual lease dated May 26, 1898.

DETROIT TOLEDO AND MILWAUKEE RAILROAD COMPANY

Incorporated June 21, 1897 as The Toledo and Milwaukee Railroad Company. Articles of incorporation amended at a meeting of stockholders on July 22, 1897, to make name Detroit Toledo and Milwaukee Railroad Company. The line of this company extends from Dundee, Michigan to Allegan, Michigan, 133.14 miles, and that section of the road from Dundee to Homer, 66.58 miles, was leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, in perpetuity, from January 1, 1905. The remaining section of the road, Homer to Allegan, 66.56 miles, was leased to the Michigan Central Railroad Company at the same time. On September 1, 1913, the portion of the track between Allegan and Battle Creek, Michigan (about 39 miles) was sold to a traction company and a re-division was made between The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company and the Michigan Central Railroad Company of the remaining mileage, the new dividing line being near Moscow, Michigan.

THE LAKE ERIE ALLIANCE AND WHEELING RAILROAD COMPANY

The Lake Erie Alliance and Wheeling Railroad Company (old company) was incorporated in 1874, and began work in June, 1875. In 1877, the road was completed from Alliance to Phalanx. It was sold under foreclosure May 11, 1878. The Alliance and Lake Erie Railroad Company was organized May 1l, 1878, took over the Lake Erie Alliance and Wheeling Railroad and extended it to Mt. Union. In 1882, this road was consolidated with the Cleveland Youngstown and Pittsburgh Railroad Company and The Steubenville Canton and Cleveland Railway Company. The consolidated company was known as The Cleveland Youngstown and Pittsburgh Railway Company and its road extended from Phalanx to Bergholz, Ohio. It was foreclosed and a receiver appointed in 1884. The receiver was discharged and property re-organized in December, 1886, as The Lake Erie Alliance and Southern Railway Company. A receiver was appointed in 1893 and the road sold under foreclosure in 1897. It was subsequently re-organized as the Ohio River and Lake Erie Railroad Company. The Alliance and Northern Railroad Company was incorporated in October, 1891, and acquired the road from Phalanx to Alliance. The Lake Eric Alliance and Wheeling Railroad Company (present company) was organized January 25, 1901, and merged the Ohio River and Lake Erie Railroad Company and The Alliance and Northern Railroad Company, and in 1901 and 1902 extended the road to Dillonvale, Ohio. The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company acquired the road as of January 1, 1903, by purchase of the entire capital stock. Formal lease covering the term of the corporate existence of The Lake Erie Alliance and Wheeling Railroad Company was executed on June 26, 1912, to become effective July 1, 1912.

THE SWAN CREEK RAILWAY COMPANY

Built by an incorporated company but historical facts are not available. In 1889, The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company purchased the entire capital stock and on May 1, 1897, it leased the road for the term of its corporate existence. The road is a side track 1.31 miles long in the city of Toledo, Ohio, and is maintained and operated in the same manner as any other side track of The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company.

JAMESTOWN FRANKLIN AND CLEARFIELD RAILROAD COMPANY

Formed by merger, under contract dated January 26, 1909, of the Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company, Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company, Central Trunk Railway Company and Jackson Coal Railroad Company, consolidation effective March 8, 1909. Leased to The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, in perpetuity, from April 1, 1909.

The Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company was chartered June 19, 1902, to construct a road from Franklin, Pa., to Clearfield, Pa., a distance of 111 miles. The Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company was formed by consolidation, under agreement of August 14, 1871, of the Jamestown and , Franklin Railroad Company and the Junction Railroad Company. The former was chartered April 5, 1862, and the latter was incorporated September 19, 1870. The original Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company was leased to the Cleveland Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company on March 21, 1864, and the consolidated company was operated by The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company under lease of January 9, 1885, until it was merged into the Jamestown Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company. The Junction Railroad Company had previously absorbed the Connection Railroad Company and the Oil Creek Junction Railroad Company. The Central Trunk Railway Company was chartered May 23, 1868, to build a road from the Ohio-Pennsylvania State Line to connect with the line of the Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company at Jamestown, Pa., which road was built in 1871. The Jackson Coal Railroad Company was chartered February 26, 1883, to build an extension to a spur to the Mercer Iron and Coal Company's mines near Stoneboro, Pa., a distance of about 10 miles.

THE CLEVELAND SHORT LINE RAILWAY COMPANY

Incorporated November 24, 1902. The proposed line was to extend from Fairport, Ohio, to Lorain, Ohio, but charter was amended at a meeting of the stockholders held on January 3, 1906 (amendment filed in office of Secretary of State of Ohio on January 16, 1906), making Collinwood, Ohio, the eastern terminus and Rockport, Ohio, the western terminus. The portion from Rockport, Ohio, to connection with the Lake Erie and Pittsburg Railway at Marcy, Ohio, 9.73 miles, was opened for operation on February 24, 1910, and the balance of the line, Marcy to Collinwood, 9.91 miles, on July 1, 1912. Capital stock all owned by The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company.

THE LAKE ERIE AND PITTSBURG RAILWAY COMPANY

Incorporated April 29, 1903 (articles filed with Secretary of State of Ohio on April 30, 1903), proposed line to extend from Lorain, Ohio, to Youngstown, Ohio. Road constructed from a connection with the Cleveland Short Line Railway at Marcy, Ohio, to a connection with the Pennsylvania Company at Bradley Lake Jct., near Ravenna, Ohio, 27.79 miles. A contract was entered into on January 10, 1908, with The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company and Pennsylvania Company, equal owners of the capital stock of The Lake Erie and Pittsburg Railway Company, giving those companies trackage rights over the Lake Erie and Pittsburg Railway.


Return to the Dunkirk, NY - One Railroad Town page, OR The New York Central Homepage.
проститутки Днепропетровск . спортивное питание гейнер